ANGELICA KOKKALIS O.M.D L.Ac.
Private Practice Han Institute (Sept 2009 – Present)
West Lafayette IN 47906 (View Location)
Doctor of Oriental Medicine (August 2002 – Present)
Zionsville Wellness center
Zionsville, IN 46077 (View Location)
Board Member of Indiana Association of Integrative Therapies (Sept 2002- Present)
- Elected President (three-year term)
- Elected treasurer (three-year term)
Doctor of Oriental Medicine (May. 1995 – Jun 2002)
Center for Complementary Medicine and Pain Management, St. Vincent’s Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Pain control and Wellness management
Board Member of Minnesota Acupuncture Association (May 1993-Sept. 1994)
- Elected treasurer (three-year term)
- Chairperson of the Acupuncture Association membership committee
Professor of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Sept.1992 – Sept. 1994)
Minnesota School of Acupuncture and Herbal Studies, 5251 Chicago Ave. So., Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Teach theory, western diagnostics and special applications of T.C.M.
- Teach clinical pharmacology (side effects of western drugs, diagnosis, and treatment through Chinese Medicine).
- Workshops on pain control management, stress relief techniques, preventative medicine, and seminars on good health preservation and longevity
Post-Doctoral Associate (Aug.1992 – March 1994)
VA Medical Center, 1 Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417
- Study the mechanism of complement activation in xenograft hyperacute rejection.
- Purify human and porcine DAF (decay accelerating factor).
- Develop ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays), to measure human and porcine DAF.
- Study the effect on regulation of porcine DAF expression, when porcine cells having human DAF incorporated into their cell membranes, are treated with human complement in both an in vitro tissue culture model and an ex-vivo perfusion model of hyperacute rejection.
Group Leader (Jan.1992 – May 1992)
Purification Dept., Pharmingen Inc., 11555 Sorrento Valley Road, San Diego, CA
- Perform purification of antibodies procedures, supervise and train personnel, initiate affinity purification and DEAE purification records, take care of the final testing of the products before sending them to Quality Control Department, and keep records for all products. Develop substitute for paragon gel electrophoresis.
- Perform data entry and other computer tasks on Macintosh equipment.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Jan.1991 – Dec. 1991)
Dept. of Medicine H811D2, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Experience in identification of PIP in Neutrophils: phospholipid extraction from electroporated cells, thin layer chromatography, preparation of neutrophils using ficoll hypaque density gradients.
- Fluorescent microscopy, fluorescent cell staining, electroporation of cells (neutrophils and HL60), and spectrophotometry.
- Familiar with chemical and biohazard precautions and radiation safety procedures, experience with P3 lab precautions.
- Skilled with sterile procedures: passage, cloning, freezing, cell growth, and tissue culture.
- Knowledge of the use of laboratory instruments such as pH meter, precision balance, standard and high-speed centrifuge, electron microscopy, etc.
- Experienced with sample preparation for HPLC, gathering data and analyzing findings.
- Skilled in general laboratory techniques: pipetting, weighing, filtering techniques, sterilizing, reagent and buffer preparation.
- Experienced with computer operation including word processing, analytical and graphical programs, (WP, Coptis, Sigma Plot, and Harvard Graphics).
Chinese Herbology Class (Jan 1991- Jan 1992)
Pacific College of Oriental Medicine. La Jolla, C.A.
- Attended and graduated from Chinese Herbology classes 1 – 6.
Resident Doctor (Aug. – Dec. 1990)
Division of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Dongzimen Hospital, Beijing, China
- Responsible for about 35 regular patients on an on-going basis (averaging 20 minutes of doctor-patient contact for each patient).
- Experienced in the treatment of disorders such as trigeminal neuralgia, facial nerve paralysis, pareses following a stroke, apoplexy, acute and chronic gastritis, gastric hyperacidity, chronic duodenal ulcer (pain relief), headaches, sciatica, low back pain, “frozen shoulder”, osteoarthritis, etc.
- Participated in research for treatment of myopia, cataracts, senile dementia, and diabetes mellitus.
Resident Intern (Dec.1988 – April 1989)
Educational Department, Academy of T.C.M.
- Intense training in Acupuncture and Moxibustion
Resident Intern (Sept.1988 – Jun.1989)
Division of Western Medicine, Third Teaching Hospital, Beijing Medical University, Beijing, China
Department of Surgery:
- Responsible for 6 – 8 regular patients on an on-going basis (averaging 2 hours of doctor-patient contact time for each patient).
- Intensive experience with traumatic surgery, cesarean section, and normal deliveries.
- Experienced as 1st and 2nd Assistant Surgeon for such operations: abdominal exploration, emergency extra-uterine gravity operation, cholecystectomy, gastrectomy, colectomy, appendectomy, pneumectomy, strumectomy, etc.
- Administer local and epidural anesthesia under supervision.
- Experience in handling and restraining: mice and rats, rabbits, dogs, invertebrates, assist in veterinary procedures and assist in sterile procedures.
- Experience with catheterization and infusion of small animal arteries, the collection of blood, and post-surgery care.
Resident Intern (Jun. – Aug.1988)
Division of Chinese Traditional Medicine, Third Teaching Hospital, Beijing Medical University, Beijing, China
Resident Intern (Mar. – May 1988)
Division of Chinese Traditional Medicine, First Teaching Hospital, Beijing Medical University, Beijing, China
Resident Intern (Dec.1988 – Apr.1989)
Beijing Research Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing, China
- Sino-Greek Government Student Exchange Scholarship for Graduate Studies
Residency in Acupuncture and Moxibustion, O.M.D. (Oriental Medical Doctor-certified) (Dec.1988 – Dec.1990)
Beijing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Beijing Research Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Scholarship: Sino-Greek Government Student Exchange Scholarship for Graduate Studies
Diploma of Medicine and Surgery (Sept.1983 – Jun.1989)
Beijing Medical University, Beijing, China
- Scholarship: Sino-Greek Government Student Exchange Scholarship
Certificate Course – Advanced Chinese Language (Sept.1982 – Jul.1983)
Beijing Language Institute, Beijing, China
- Scholarship: Sino-Greek Government Student Exchange Scholarship
- “The Neurochemical Mechanisms of Acupuncture” The American Academy of Medical Acupuncture. May 2017
- “Hands-on with the Han’s protocols” Five hours workshop. The American Academy of Medical Acupuncture May 2017
- “Integrating Chinese and Western Medicine” University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa December 2016
- “Chinese Medicine in the Western Clinic” Two-week workshop. Department of Orthopedic Medicine University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa December 2016
- “The Special library Development, Considerations for Traditional Chinese Medicine(TCM) Knowledge Transfer, It’s Community building” 2015 International research Conference, Reaching across Disciplines to Broaden the Acupuncture Research Network Boston MA November 2015
- “Acupuncture in America” The First People”s Hospital of Xiaoshan Hangzhou, P.R. of China May 2015
- “Chinese Pharmacology” Purdue University School of Pharmacy, Lafayette IN, April 2012
- “Clinical Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine” Purdue University Indiana University school of medicine, February 2012
- Complementary and Alternative medicine mini-course “Basics of Chinese Medicine”. Wabash Area Lifetime Learning Association, Lafayette IN, Oct. 2011
- “Alternatives to surgery” The Sanctuary, Zionsville, Indiana, September 2011
- “Combination of conventional and alternative medicine in a western clinic”. Wo Hing Society, Maui Hawaii, July 2011
- “Introduction to Chinese Medicine” Indy Health Expo. Indiana State Fairgrounds, Indianapolis, Indiana, January 2010
- “Discovering Chinese Medicine” Helen’s Magazine. University Plaza Hotel, W. Lafayette, Indiana, December 2009
- “Theory and practice of massage in Chinese medicine” Three-hour workshop. Wellness Massage Therapy Association. Otterbein, IN, November 2008
- “Health Psychology and Chinese medicine”. IV Tech. Lafayette IN. March 2008
- “Cupping theory and practice” Three-hour workshop. KAPLAN School of massage Indianapolis IN, March 2007
- “Senile Dementia and Chinese medicine”. Optimist club. Lafayette IN, August 2006
- “Fibromyalgia treatments through the Chinese system of medicine” Three-hour workshop. Sponsored by St Elizabeth School of nursing. Kathryn Weil Center for Education. Lafayette IN, April 2005
- “Introduction of Chinese medicine”. St Elizabeth School of nursing. Lafayette IN, March 2005
- “Stress Management through the Chinese System of Medicine” Theories and concepts of stress management class. Purdue University. W. Lafayette IN, March 2004
- “Arthritis treatment and traditional Chinese Medicine” Indiana Association of Integrative Therapies. Unity Medical Pavilion. Lafayette, Indiana, February 2004
- “Acupuncture and addictions” Surf Center. Lafayette IN, Feb 2004
- “Chinese Medicine and Veterinary Acupuncture” Joint presentation with Norene Ziegler, DVM. Tippecanoe County Library, Lafayette IN, March 2003
- “Acupuncture and Massage” Wellness Massage therapy Association Educational & Research Center, West Lafayette, Indiana, February 2002
- “Treating pain through Chinese Medicine” Purdue Women’s Club Lecture Series, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN, April 2001
- “The Holistic Doctor is in” Festival of Light, Sept 23 & 24, 2000, Broad Ripple Park, Indianapolis.
- “Alternative and Complementary Medicine”, Fall course, Purdue’s Office of Continuing Education, Morton Center, W. Lafayette, IN, Oct. 1999
- “Chinese Medicine and Qi Gong” NACC Region VII Mundelein IL, Sept. 1999
- “Introduction of Herbal Medicine” Purdue Women’s Club Lecture Series, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN, May 1999
- “Traditional Chinese Medicine”, sponsored by St. Elizabeth Medical Center, Camp Tecumseh, Brookston, IN, May 1999
- “Chinese Medicine for Pain Control” Pain Conference, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, Sept. 1998
- “Chinese Medicine in a Western Hospital” Hoosiers for Health, Indianapolis, IN, May 1998
- “Introduction to Traditional Chinese Medicine” US-China Peoples Friendship Association, Lafayette Chapter, W. Lafayette, IN, Feb. 1996
- “Chinese Medicine Approach for Working with Chronic Diarrhea Related to HIV/AIDS” Indiana’s 2nd Annual World Aids Days Conference, Indianapolis, IN, Dec. 1995
- “Traditional Chinese Medicine” US – China Peoples Friendship Association 1995 National Convention, Indianapolis, IN, Oct. 1995
- ” Diagnosis and Treatment in Chinese System of Medicine, Integration of Chinese and Western Medicine, Acupuncture and Moxibustion,” six hours; Institute of Complementary Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN, Mar. 1995
- “Alternatives in Medicine,” WBAA-Radio, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 1994
- “Senile Dementia and Chinese medicine” University of Minnesota Veteran’s Hospital, Minneapolis, MN, Mar. 1994
- “Chinese Herbal Medicine – US Marketability,” three hours; Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Minneapolis, MN, Feb. 1994
- “Integration of Chinese and Western Medicine,” three hours; University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN Oct. 1993
- “Tongue Diagnosis Seminar,” twelve hours; Minnesota School of Acupuncture and Herbal Studies, Minneapolis, MN, May 1993
- “Side Effects of Western Drugs; Diagnosis and Treatment through Chinese Medicine,” two hours. An Ancient Medicine in a Modern Era-Scientific Congress, Anglo-Dutch College of Acupuncture, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Nov. 1992
Zionsville Times Sentinel (Zionsville, Indiana)
- “Learning the basics of Qi gong”, July 02, 2007
- “Learning the basics of Acupuncture”, April 19 2007
- “Getting in tune with energy flow”, March 22 2007
- “Integrated medicine offers optimal health-care”, Feb 11 2007
- “Herbs maintain synergy and balance in body”, Dec 27 2006
- “Alternative medical group expands”, July 14, 1999
Journal and Courier (Lafayette, Indiana)
- Health and fitness “On pins and needles. Olympic hopeful Serene Ross credits acupuncture for a large part of her recovery after ligament surgery”, March 23, 2004
- Keeping fit “Self-prescribing herbs can be risky. Patients should inform doctors of all medications being taken”, July 22, 2001
- Family health and fitness “New wave medicine. More patients turn to alternative therapies“, May 16, 2001
- Life “Where East meets West. Doctor sees promise in combination of Chinese medicine, mainstream methods”, Nov. 28, 2000
Minnesota Daily (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- “Acupuncture fails to gain respect from US doctors” Sept. 29, 1993
Acupuncture in America, May 3, 2014 – by Xinyi Huang
- “Neurochemical Mechanisms of Acupuncture” eBook 2014
- “Side Effects of Western Drugs; Diagnosis and Treatment through Chinese Medicine.”
- Medicine Chinoise & Medicine Oriental No.6, July – Sept. 1993, pp. 45-49 (in French).
Written and Spoken: English, Chinese, and Greek.
- The American Academy of Medical Acupuncture 2017 Guest Speaker
- Member of American Acupuncture Council (2006-present)
- Treasurer of Indiana Association of Integrative Therapies (2005- 2009)
- President of Indiana Association of Integrative Therapies (2002-2005)
- Member of Alliance Acupuncture Association of Indiana (1998-1999)
- Member of IICM (Indiana Institute of Complementary Medicine) (1995-present)
- Treasurer and Board member of Acupuncture Association of Minnesota (1993-1994)
- Chairperson of Acupuncture Association of Minnesota Membership Committee (1994)
- Member of Acupuncture Association of Minnesota (1992-95)
- Member of AMDA (Association of Medical Doctors of Asia) (1989-Present)